Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Day Has Arrived


0 Days Left Until "After the Fall #1"


The day is here. In only a few hours, we'll all be able to get our greedy hands on the story we've been waiting for since 2004. I'll say no more than this: I am very confident that it'll be even more amazing than we can fathom, and I will surely have the--probably glowingly positive--review up by early this afternoon.


Now, about the countdown. We've seen moments 10-2 of the "best" Angel moments. For the top spot, I really had to split it up a bit. Let's just say that the two moments that share the top spot, both from the climatic series finale, are very appropriate given the fact that we're about to get the direct continuation later today...


MOMENT NUMBER ONE (b)
Season Five
Episode 5.22: Not Fade Away
"Would You Like Me To Lie To You Now?"


Wesley's death, along with what Illyria does for him, is the most beautiful moment in the series. The seeds for this moment were planted in an earlier scene in the episode that had Wesley and Illyria talking...


Wesley: There is no perfect day for me, Illyria. There is no sunset or painting or finely-aged scotch that's going to sum up my life and make tonight any...there is nothing that I want.

Illyria: You want to be with Fred.

Wesley: …Yes. Yes, that's where I'd be if I could.

Illyria: I could assume her shape, make her come alive again this once for you. But you would never ask me to.

Wesley: The first lesson a Watcher learns is to separate truth from illusion. Because in the world of magics, it's the hardest thing to do. The truth is that Fred is gone. To pretend anything else would be a lie. And since I don't actually intend to die tonight, I won't accept a lie.


But, when it comes to the end, all that Wesley learned at the Watcher's Council is once again shown not to truly matter in real life. He learned everything he needed to know about life from his friendships with Angel, Fred, Gunn, Cordelia, and Lorne, and he knew now--as he died--that it was okay to let himself have that last happy moment...


Illyria: Wesley! This wound is mortal.

Wesley: ...Aren't we all. It was good... that you came.

Illyria: I killed all mine. And I was...

Wesley: Concerned?

Illyira: I think so. But I can't help. You'll be dead within moments.

Wesley: (more surprised than sad) I know.

Illyria: (stares at him) Would you like me to lie to you now?

Wesley: (pause, then, softly:) Yes. Thank you. Yes.
(A soft hand comes down and touches his face. It’s Fred’s.)
Wesley: Hello there.

Fred: Oh, Wesley. My Wesley.

Wesley: Fred. (whispering) I've… missed you.

Fred: (kisses him) It's gonna be OK. It won't hurt much longer, and then you'll be where I am. (crying) We'll be together.

Wesley: I--I love you.

Fred: I love you. My love. Oh, my love.


If Wesley using his last breaths to say "I love you" to the image of his dead lover wasn't touching enough, the character development of Illyria was shown in the quick moment that, even when she realized Wesley was dead, she was still upset enough to weep. I have not seen--and I doubt I ever will--a single moment of television that could rival this. Oh, and it's worth it to mention that this scene always, no matter how many times I watch it, gets the waterworks going...


Check out the moment here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ox5DyVcCpmM


----------------------------------------


MOMENT NUMBER ONE (a)

Season Five

Episode 5.22: Not Fade Away

"Let's Go To Work"


Every Angel top-ten countdown has to end with this. The last few minutes of the series totally and perfectly embodies the "the fight never ends" theme that played out over all five seasons. I can't be happier that the series IS going to continue, but when it WAS the ending, it was a beautiful ending. As David Fury said, it was "the perfect way to end the series, and anybody who says otherwise is dumb." I couldn't agree more.


The survivors gather in the alley, preparing for whatever Wolfram and Hart is going to unleash on them.
Gunn: Any word on Wes?

Illyria: Wesley's dead. I'm feeling grief for him. I can't seem to control it. I wish to do more violence.

Spike: Well, wishes just happen to be horses today.

Angel: Among other things.
Hundreds of demons, even a dragon, are making their way towards our heroes. Things look grim…

Gunn: You take the 30,000 on the left….

Illyria: You're fading. You'll last 10 minutes at best!

Gunn: Then let's make it memorable.

Spike: In terms of a plan?

Angel: We fight.

Spike: Bit more specific?

Angel: Well, personally… I kind of want to slay the dragon. Let's go to work.


And "Angel" ended with the swing of a sword.


(Check out the moment here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=y6xowiYWynM)


Now, finally, we're finally getting more of the series that we loved best. Joss Whedon's most underrated series, a dark story about an ensouled vampire fighting the good fight. Whether the story needed to be continued is irrelevant, because we--as fans--will always need a continuation. And now we have one. "After the Fall" is, even more than "Buffy: Season Eight," something that we fans were scared to even hope for before. And now, thanks to Brian Lynch, Joss Whedon, Franco Urru, Chris Ryall, and everyone at IDW, we're going to be getting what we've wanted so very badly for so very long. I thank you guys for making our dreams come true.


Much love.


0 Days Left Until "After the Fall #1"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, that's one good list of moments. I think I'd have put "You're a dead man, Pryce!", Fred fainting in the beginning of "A Hole in the World" and the neverdying bucket-line in the season 3 premiere on the list too, but yours is still a pretty damn good selection.

PatShand said...

Thank you! :]

And all those moments you listed were also amazing. Great show, eh? Maybe I'll make a Top 20 on day lol