Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Episode Two: Attack of the Rat

What Is It: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight, Issue #4: The Long Way Home pt 4 (written by Joss Whedon)

Timing: Season Eight, following Issue #1

REVIEW: Buffy fans will be expecting a lot after seven stellar seasons on television and the success of the first issue of "Season Eight." So the question here is this: Does Issue #2 deliver?
In short, yes. I have to say though--there is so much going on, so many jokes, and so much foreshadowing that I wasn't able to completely enjoy the Jossy goodness until my second read. The first read intrigued me, but the second wow-ed me.

The plot continues directly from the previous issue. Amy (the former rat) is working with the government to take out Buffy and the slayers, and she has an army of zombies to back her up. The ending sequences are amazing--I'm already itching for May 2nd to come so I can get my hands on the third issue. There was a big revelation about half-way through the comic, and clues to who the Big Bad of the season will be as well. Giant Dawn is great (I knew Joss would convince me), Buffy is true to herself, and Xander is playing the biggest role he's played since the first season.
This issue also re-introduces two fan favorites: Giles and Andrew. So, all in all, this issue is just as good as the first. But did anybody expect anything less? I mean, come on--Joss Whedon wrote it.

Art: The cover by Jo Chen is good, though the use of the baby blue in Xander's hair (a reflection or shine???) kinda throws me off. The actual bulk of the comic, pencilled by Georges Jeanty (whom I believe has committed to the remainder of the series, other than one-shots) is illustrated beautifully, except for--I'm sorry to say--Jeanty's depiction of Giles. Giles looks like Season One Giles' face with an old man's body; skinny, all brown up top, and sweater-vesty. Throw Giles into some of his Season Seven gear, make his head a little bit bigger, hair a tad thinner, and we're back on track.

Characters We Know: Buffy, Xander, Dawn, Giles, Andrew, Amy, Willow

Rating: 8/10

No comments: